
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A Minnesota jury awarded $65.5 million on Friday to a mother of three who claimed talcum products made by Johnson & Johnson exposed her to asbestos and contributed to her developing cancer in the lining of her lungs.
Jurors determined that plaintiff Anna Jean Houghton Carley, 37, should be compensated by Johnson & Johnson after using its baby powder throughout her childhood and later developing mesothelioma, an aggressive cancer caused primarily by exposure to the carcinogen asbestos.
Johnson & Johnson said it would appeal the verdict.
During a 13-day trial in Ramsey County District Court, Carley's legal team argued the pharmaceutical giant sold and marketed talc-based products to consumers despite knowing it can be contaminated with asbestos. Carley's lawyers also said her family was never warned about potential dangers while using the product on their child. The product was taken off shelves in the U.S. in 2020.
“This case was not about compensation only. It was about truth and accountability," Carley's attorney Ben Braly said.
Erik Haas, worldwide vice president of litigation for Johnson & Johnson, argued the company's baby powder is safe, does not contain asbestos and does not cause cancer. He expects an appellate court to reverse the decision.
The verdict is the latest development in a longstanding legal battle over claims that talc in Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower body powder was connected to ovarian cancer and mesothelioma, which strikes the lungs and other organs. Johnson & Johnson stopped selling powder made with talc worldwide in 2023.
“These lawsuits are predicated on ‘junk science,’ refuted by decades of studies that demonstrate Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Powder is safe, does not contain asbestos and does not cause cancer,” Haas said in a statement after the verdict.
Earlier this month, a Los Angeles jury awarded $40 million to two women who claimed Johnson & Johnson's talcum powder caused their ovarian cancer. And in October, another California jury ordered the company to pay $966 million to the family of a woman who died of mesothelioma, claiming she developed the cancer because the baby powder she used was contaminated with asbestos.
NEUESTE BEITRÄGE
- 1
Forum Dvorah demands clear support for women in combat as IDF gender debate escalates14.01.2026 - 2
Former 'Bachelorette' welcomes 1st baby via emergency c-section26.12.2025 - 3
After toilet and email issues, Artemis II astronauts fire engine to head for the moon02.04.2026 - 4
Last supermoon of the year, the cold moon, seen across the U.S.: See the photos05.12.2025 - 5
An Excursion Through Renowned Western Network programs06.06.2024
Ähnliche Artikel
Aspirin can prevent a serious pregnancy complication — but too few women get it, new report suggests15.11.2025
Europe’s Airlines Run Low on Fuel02.04.2026
Unpaid caregiving work can feel small and personal, but that doesn’t take away its ethical value17.12.2025
Figure out How to Improve Your Stream Voyage with Remarkable Trips and Exercises19.10.2023
France, Germany, Italy summon Iranian envoys over 'unbearable, inhumane' regime crackdown13.01.2026
Charity 'feels the pinch' of higher energy prices06.04.2026
Ancient fire discovery marks significant milestone in human history10.12.2025
Artemis II astronauts say they're "ready to go" for moon launch29.03.2026
Rick Steves Recommends This German Town's Castle Hotel With Rhine River Views11.01.2026
Toyota Just Electrified a Pickup Legend, but It Won’t Be Cheap06.04.2026














