
The Southern Transitional Council denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
Yemen's main separatist group, the Southern Transitional Council, denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
The conflicting statements highlight a split in the STC, a group backed by the United Arab Emirates that seized parts of southern and eastern Yemen in December in advances that heightened tensions with another Gulf power, Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia and the UAE used to work together in a coalition battling the Iranian-backed terrorist organization, the Houthis, in Yemen's civil war, but the STC advances exposed their rivalry, bringing into focus big differences on a wide range of issues across the Middle East, ranging from geopolitics to oil output.
Saudi-backed forces retake STC seized land
Saudi-backed fighters have largely retaken the areas of southern and eastern Yemen that the STC seized, and an STC delegation has traveled to the Saudi capital Riyadh for talks.
But STC leader Aidarous al-Zubaidi skipped the planned meetings and fled Yemen on Wednesday, and the Saudi-led coalition accused the UAE of helping him escape on a flight that was tracked to a military airport in Abu Dhabi.
In an announcement broadcast on Saudi state media on Friday, one of the group's members said the STC had decided to disband.
In a statement issued on Saturday, the STC said it had held an "extraordinary meeting" following the announcement in Riyadh and declared it "null and void," saying it had been made "under coercion and pressure."
The group also said its members in Riyadh had been detained and were being "forced to issue statements."
The STC reiterated calls for mass protests in southern cities on Saturday, warning against any attempts that target the group's "peaceful activities."
Authorities in Aden that are aligned with Yemen's Saudi-backed government on Friday ordered a ban on demonstrations in the southern city, citing security concerns, according to an official directive seen by Reuters.
NEUESTE BEITRÄGE
- 1
Voting begins in Uganda’s presidential election during internet shutdown and polling station delays14.01.2026 - 2
Reality TV star Spencer Pratt, who lost his home in Palisades Fire, is running for mayor of Los Angeles08.01.2026 - 3
'Zootopia 2' movie reviews: A heartwarming, hysterical and earnest 'ode to community'25.11.2025 - 4
Ryan Gosling responds to Deidre Hall's invitation to visit the 'Days of Our Lives' set: 'This is a very enthusiastic yes'27.03.2026 - 5
The 10 Most Noteworthy Games in History07.07.2023
Ähnliche Artikel
Grammy nominations 2026: Full list of nominees in every major category, including Album of the Year and Best New Artist12.11.2025
I watched the buzzy new AI documentary — and left feeling both hopeful and terrified27.03.2026
Hundreds of Intact Dinosaur Eggs Emerge From 72-Million-Year Time Capsule31.03.2026
6 Web-based Lawful Administrations: Extensive Surveys and Elements06.06.2024
Artemis 2 astronauts see Earth in the rear-view mirror | Space photo of the day for April 3, 202603.04.2026
Passenger Missing After Going Overboard Disney Cruise Ship23.11.2025
Vote In favor of Your Favored Web-based Venture Stage05.06.2024
Israel says it will keep control over part of southern Lebanon after war with Hezbollah ends31.03.2026
When preventable infections turn deadly behind bars | The Excerpt20.11.2025
Grasping Wrongdoings and Crimes: A Correlation30.06.2023













