
Two more United Nations peacekeepers have been killed in southern Lebanon, the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) has said, in the latest deadly incident involving UN forces since Israel expanded its ground invasion of the country.
In a statement shared on social media, UNIFIL said two peacekeepers were killed on Monday “when an explosion of unknown origin destroyed their vehicle” near the southern Lebanese village of Bani Hayyan.
The UN force said a third peacekeeper was severely injured while a fourth was also wounded in the incident. “We reiterate that no one should ever have to die serving the cause of peace,” UNIFIL said.
The announcement came hours after UNIFIL said one of its peacekeepers was killed in a separate incident “when a projectile exploded in a UNIFIL position” on Sunday near the southern Lebanese village of Aadshit al-Qusayr.
The force said that the exact “origin of the projectile” was not immediately clear, but that an investigation had been launched into the incident.
Indonesia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs later confirmed that the slain peacekeeper was one of its citizens. It said three other Indonesian peacekeepers with UNIFIL were also wounded in the attack, which it described as “indirect artillery fire”.
“Indonesia strongly condemns the incident and calls for a thorough and transparent investigation,” the ministry said in a statement. “Indonesia reiterates its condemnation of Israel’s attacks in southern Lebanon and calls on all parties to respect Lebanon’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, cease attacks against civilian populations and infrastructure, and return to dialogue and diplomacy to prevent further escalation and advance peace.”
Israeli invasion deepens
The deadly incidents come as Israel has expanded its ground invasion of Lebanon, pushing deeper into the south of the country as part of a campaign that it says aims to secure northern Israel against Hezbollah air attacks.
Israel launched intensified strikes against its northern neighbour in early March after Hezbollah fired into northern Israel in response to the US-Israeli war on Iran, which began on February 28.
More than 1,200 people have been killed in Israel’s continuing attacks across Lebanon, according to the Lebanese Health Ministry, while more than 1.2 million people have been forced out of their homes across the country.
The Israeli ground invasion has spurred intensified confrontations and deadly violence in Lebanon’s south, Al Jazeera’s Obaida Hitto reported from the southern city of Tyre on Monday afternoon.
In another recent incident, a Lebanese soldier was killed in an Israeli attack on a military checkpoint in the south on Monday, Lebanon’s army said in a statement.
“The checkpoint was clearly marked as a Lebanese army position,” said Hitto, noting that the past 48 hours have been marked by several incidents involving UNIFIL and the Lebanese military.
“As the Israelis announced they’re expanding their operations here in southern Lebanon, I expect these kinds of incidents to increase,” he said.
Global condemnation
World leaders have condemned the escalating violence, with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres calling on all parties to the conflict to abide by international law and ensure the security of all UN personnel.
“This is just one of a number of recent incidents that have jeopardized the safety & security of peacekeepers,” Guterres wrote on X after the Indonesian peacekeeper was killed.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, a vocal critic of Israel’s bombardment of Lebanon, said “a new red line was crossed” after the first fatal attack involving UNFIL this week.
“Attacks on UN peacekeeping missions are an unjustifiable aggression against the entire international community,” Sanchez wrote in a social media post, calling on the Israeli government to end its military operations.
The Republic of Ireland’s Prime Minister Micheal Martin also warned against a “shocking escalation of violence that has injured a number of peacekeepers in recent days”.
“The role of the peacekeeper must be respected and honoured at all times,” Martin wrote on X.
NEUESTE BEITRÄGE
- 1
Wedding Guest Outraged That Bride and Groom, Who Are in Their 60s and Have Both Been Married Before, Registered for Gifts30.12.2025 - 2
Two reportedly killed as Israel attacks Hezbollah targets in Lebanon22.11.2025 - 3
One lightly wounded after Iranian missile barrage targets northern Israel03.04.2026 - 4
Finding China: Four Urban areas for a Remarkable Excursion05.06.2024 - 5
Auschwitz Committee wants German auction of Holocaust items scrapped15.11.2025
Ähnliche Artikel
Global measles cases drop 71% in 24 years as vaccination coverage improves, WHO says28.11.2025
Famous Versatile Brands: Your Decision05.06.2024
The Manual for Electric Vehicles that will be hot dealers in 202305.06.2024
The Specialty of Cleaning up: Change Your Space and Brain01.01.1
Viruses aren’t all bad: In the ocean, some help fuel the food web – a new study shows how13.01.2026
Nigeria’s return to Windsor castle signals new era in UK economic partnership26.03.2026
IDF destroys Hamas shaft in northern Gaza with loaded 'ready to fire' rocket aimed at Sderot03.01.2026
The most effective method to Guarantee Simple Availability in Seniors' SUVs06.06.2024
At least 171 measles cases confirmed in 9 states, CDC data shows14.01.2026
The Main 15 Applications for Efficiency and Association07.07.2023














