
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — The astronaut who prompted NASA’s first medical evacuation earlier this year said Friday that doctors still don’t know why he suddenly fell sick at the International Space Station.
Four-time space flier Mike Fincke said he was eating dinner on Jan. 7 after prepping for a spacewalk the next day when it happened. He couldn’t talk and remembers no pain, but his anxious crewmates jumped into action after seeing him in distress and requested help from flight surgeons on the ground.
“It was completely out of the blue. It was just amazingly quick," he said in an interview with The Associated Press from Houston's Johnson Space Center.
Fincke, 59, a retired Air Force colonel, said the episode lasted roughly 20 minutes and he felt fine afterward. He said he still does. He never experienced anything like that before or since.
Doctors have ruled out a heart attack and Fincke said he wasn't choking, but everything else is still on the table and could be related to his 549 days of weightlessness. He was 5 ½ months into his latest space station stay when the problem struck like “a very, very fast lightning bolt.”
“My crewmates definitely saw that I was in distress,” he said, with all six gathering around him. “It was all hands on deck within just a matter of seconds.”
Fincke said he can’t provide any more details about his medical episode. The space agency wants to make sure that other astronauts do not feel that their medical privacy will be compromised if something happens to them, he said.
The space station's ultrasound machine came in handy when the event occurred, he said, and he's gone through numerous tests since returning to Earth. NASA is poring through other astronauts' medical records to see if any related instances that might have occurred in space, he said.
Fincke identified himself late last month as the one who was sick to end the swirling public speculation.
He still feels bad that his illness caused the spacewalk to be canceled — it would have been his 10th spacewalk but first for crewmate Zena Cardman — and resulted in an early return for her and their two other crewmates. SpaceX brought them back on Jan. 15, more than a month early, and they went straight to the hospital.
“I’ve been very lucky to be super healthy. So this was very surprising for everyone,” he said.
Fincke stopped apologizing to everybody after NASA's new administrator Jared Isaacman ordered him to stop.
“This wasn’t you. This was space, right?" his colleagues assured him. “You didn’t let anybody down.”
Ever the optimist, he's holding out hope that he can return to space one day.
___
The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
NEUESTE BEITRÄGE
- 1
Story of ‘first Black Briton’ rewritten by advances in ancient DNA technology19.12.2025 - 2
Porsche May Kill the Electric Boxster Before It Ever Arrives01.04.2026 - 3
Flying without a Real ID? That'll soon cost you $45, TSA says.01.12.2025 - 4
Passenger Missing After Going Overboard Disney Cruise Ship23.11.2025 - 5
Israel says Iran's military industry will be destroyed 'within days'28.03.2026
Ähnliche Artikel
Vote in favor of the handheld vacuum that you love for its strong attractions!07.06.2024
Best Internet based Course for Learning Another Dialect: Which Stage Do You Like?01.01.1
Manual for Mountain Objections on the planet06.06.2024
Forget 'Outer Banks.' These Gen Z-ers just want to watch 'M*A*S*H*' and 'Gilmore Girls.'06.11.2025
FDA proposes use of sunscreen ingredient popular in other countries11.12.2025
Russia earning billions from Hormuz blockade, German trade body says07.04.2026
Historical mysteries solved by science in 202523.12.2025
Supportive Tips On Home loans For First-Time Home Purchasers30.06.2023
Germany ready to assist Syria's reconstruction, says foreign minister30.03.2026
Figure out How to Keep up with and Clean Your Brilliant Bed for Ideal Execution19.10.2023














